Wednesday 12 October 2016

Echo//Echo..Echo...ECHOLOCATION!

This week we have been talking about bats! I thought it was a fun topic and the kids are "diggin" it! Today we talked about echolocation...we started off our lesson by watching this video below. I love catchy tunes because they get stuck in my head!


After watching we discussed more in depth about what echolocation is and I even made up some silly examples! For example I was a hungry bat coming after one of my students (who was an insect) they tend to get a crack out of jokes like that! Obviously I made sound effects and ran towards them! Ha!

Next we moved onto our echolocation station! We got to experience echolocation and listening how the sound bounces off! Basically one student whispered into the tube pointed at the tin pan, while the other student listened to see if their whisper would bounce off the pan and into their tube! It was actually really cool and fun!



I think the best whisper was, "I'll eat you as my midnight snack!!" I just about died laughing and the whole class got a kick out of that! In our song above the bat says that song. 

Next, we talked about how bats can not see very well. We held a discussion about how the mama bat can find her babies if she can not see well. After someone shouted "their scent!" we started to talk about the different smells our friends and families houses have. (not bad just different) 

I chose our mama bat and held up the scent of her "baby bat" smell to her nose. Her goal was to find her five babies! Each child in the classroom got a paper towel with one of three scents on it! Each child went up to her and held their paper towel under her nose and she had to decide if that was the smell of her babies. She found all 5 baby bat scents! Below is a little video of them taking turns going up to mama......also the kids did NOT know what smell was the babies smell, so they were bummed when they weren't the baby bat! 



This video makes me laugh, I forgot someone asked me, "Can you put more whip cream on this, I can't smell it anymore". It was so funny because there was NO whip cream or anything that looked like it in the room!! hehe I love these kids. 

PS today I had the kids clean their desks....so some of them have a TON of old papers coming home. I swear some had papers from day 1! I also went through their folders and put a "leave at home" and "bring right back" label. One of my awesome moms had done this for her child and he is so organized in bringing back homework! So hopefully this will help you and your child! :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment